Google
 

May 26, 2007

Apple Crumble


I won a contest many years ago for my Apple Pie (the credit for which goes to Ann Pillsbury). Initially, when I heard the phrase, "as easy as apple pie", I would think, "what's so easy about that?" and then when I made it, I realized that it was a very simple dish to make. But earlier this week, when I'd invited a friend over for dinner, I didn't have the time to bake a pie, I decided to make Apple Crumble. I tried to look for the recipe in several books (as I didn't have access to the net that day), but I found none. So I made this from memory and it turned out yummy. Don't let the picture deceive you.


Ingredients:
1 Granny Smith Apple (Green)
1 Washington Apple (Red)
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/2 tsp Lime Juice
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 tbsp Butter
1/3 cup Maida


Peel and slice the apples. Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon powder. Arrange the apple slices in an microwave safe dish and sprinkle the sugar. Build 2-3 layers alternating the apples and the sugar mixture. Sprinkle the lime juice over this. Leave about a spoonful of the sugar mixture aside. Cook oh high in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.


In a separate bowl, mix the maida and the butter along with the remaining sugar mixture until it resembles bread crumbs or small peas. Press this mixture over the cooked apples and bake in the microwave on high for 8-10 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes for the crust to harden. Cut into pieces and serve with vanilla ice cream.
This is my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, started by Kalyn and hosted by Kalyn herself.

2 comments:

Shella said...

You know what, I tried to make this dish last to last week, where the stupid recipe asked me to add about 1/2 a cup of water to the apples, n as you would know it turned out a disaster, & a disappointment for my husband who eagerly awaited the dish to come out of the m'wave!! Though the crust looked all beautiful & brown the lower portion was watery!! I had to throw it all away.

I am going to try yours.

Raaga said...

well... now you have a new recipe to try... no water in this one :-)

but why throw? it would still taste good