Google
 

June 14, 2007

Tomato Semia Upma


Quick breakfast. I wish I could find a way to get breakfast ready in a jiffy. I grew up eating an egg a day. But I avoid eggs now as the smell gets to me. I eat it once in a while, but not everyday. Muesli and cereals... yes, but not everyday again. I need variety. Even for breakfast. Yeah, that's me.

This morning I decided to make tomato semia upma. But I was lazy as always and didn't bother to keep my dal, chillies, curry leaves and ginger ready. But my upma came out very nice. The picture, however, will be put up later. I don't want to be late for this week's A-Z.

U is for Upma and this is my U entry to Nupur's A-Z of Indian Vegetables.


Ingredients:


1 cup Roasted Semia
1 Onion, sliced
1 Tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Oil
1tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard, asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and fry for a minute or two more. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the roasted semia and along with a cup of hot water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.


You may garnish it with scraped coconut and coriander leaves. (I, of course, did nothing.)

8 comments:

Sia said...

LOL raaga... i too become lazy somedays and end up eating a toast;) u r much better than me. love tomato semiya and i love dash of lemon juice in it:)
was not keeping well, so couldn't come n check ur blog before... now i am gonna go through each n every post in leisure:)

Nupur said...

Mmm...sounds like a tasty treat! Thanks for participating!

Raaga said...

@Sia: Hope you are feeling better now. :-) This is really quick and tasty :)

@Nupur: I missed out on all the alphabets until S, so I am going to try weeeeelly weeeeeellllly hard :)

FH said...

Beautiful! I love it too for a quick snack.Adding Tomato is great too.Great entry Raaga:))

TNL said...

Gosh I love Upma in any form! Adding a tomato is such a nice idea.....love it!

thanks, will come back for the picture.

:)

TNL said...

Nice picture!!

;)
see, told you i'd be back!

Raaga said...

And I put the picture up because I knew you'd be back Trupti!

priya said...

Hi,

I tried this n it came out really well...thx for the post...this is a very simple n yummy recipe!