Google
 

July 20, 2007

Fried Egg with Curried Mushrooms




Blogging, especially the food variety, does funny things to you. It makes you enthusiastic and sometimes leaves you a little frustrated because you so want to eat some if the stuff you read about, but you can't. Because you don't have the time or the ingredients or even the inclination to get into the kitchen.


I read Meeta's post on An Indian Breakfast. Her lovely egg rolls with a spicy mushroom stuffing made my mouth water. But the next morning, I was in a tearing hurry. I did have some mushrooms at hand and also had some chopped onions, and thought of making my favourite mushroom omelette. But I didn't have the time to beat the eggs and make an omelette. So, I did the next best thing.




I modified the recipe. So much so that it has no resemblance to the original. But it satisfied my craving and my hunger for that morning.


Ingredients:


2-3 small Mushrooms, chopped

1 small Onion, chopped

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Chilli Powder

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder

1/4 tsp Coriander Powder

1/4 tsp Cumin Powder

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry till the pieces turn translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute for a minute. Add the chilli, turmeric, cumin and coriander powders and salt and fry for a minute. Spread the mixture across the pan as much as possible. Break an egg over this. Allow to cook until the egg is set. If you like your sunny side up, take it off the pan. If you like the yolk cooked, then turn the egg over and cook on the other side for a minute or two.


Enjoy the masala fried egg with toast. This is truly yummy in the tummy (as my friend's son puts it).

4 comments:

bha said...

looks yum, but sad I m not a big fan of mushrooms though....can still try this out

Meeta K. Wolff said...

The most important thing is that it tasted good. Soeren would say "it gets mushed up in the tummy anyway!

Raaga said...

@Bhags: Try it... you'll change the way you see mushrooms :-)

@Meeta: It tasted very good. More so because it was ready in less than 5 minutes!

Chitra said...

Hey, Made this twice and its absolutely delicious.