Google
 

September 27, 2007

Goodies for Ganpati: Kozhukattais: Uppu & Ammini




Ganesh Chaturthi is a huge festival on my mother's side of the family. My father is an Iyengar (Vaishnavite) and so this is technically not a festival. But it has been celebrated at his place. However, there is no culinary tradition relating to this festival on his side of the family. But growing up in a multicultural home in a multicultural surrounding (IIT Madras) meant that I got to celebrate more festivals than were celebrated on either side of my family.



I am not too fond of the sweet kozhukattais. And I had made Patoli and Narlya Kheeri just the day before Chaturthi. I wanted to make the savoury kozhukattais that I've eaten at friends' places or brought home from work by Amma. I didn't fare too well on my first attempt at making kozhukattais. But I tried again the very next day and got a nice pliable dough. Lakshmi and Latha from The Yum Blog helped me understand what may have gone wrong.


I had invited a few people for dinner that evening and wanted to have a good mix of sweet and savoury items. The world knows that I was eyeing Laavanya's Ammini Kozhukattai ever since she posted it. I had never heard about it, let alone eat it. But the thought of small rice pearls with a savoury tempering made my mouth water.



I didn't soak and grind rice flour as Laavanya's method suggests. Instead, I made the dough for the outer covering of a kozhukattai from The Yum Blog.



3 cups Rice flour
3 cups Water
1 tbsp Oil



Salt to taste







Bring the water to a boil in a heavy pan. Add the oil, salt and rice flour and stir well. Take off the flame and mix to a smooth dough like consistency. Cover and cool.



For the Ammini Kozhukattai:



1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Red Chilli



1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tbsp Coconut, scraped
7-8 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste



Make small balls of the dough and steam in a greased pan for 10 minutes.



Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the urad and chana dals, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, green chilli paste and the red chillies. Fry for a minute. Add the steamed balls, coconut and the salt. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.



I didn't have time to look at Laavanya's blog for the exact recipe, but I am fairly certain I was pretty close to the original. The dish turned out superb.




For the Uppu Kozhukattai:

1/2 cup Urad dal
1 tsp Green Chilli paste
7-8 Curry Leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds




Wash and soak urad dal for half an hour. Drain well and grind coarsely adding 2 table spoons water.

Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, green chilli paste, salt and the ground urad dal.

Cook for 3-5 minutes on a low flame.

Take a small amount of dough, flatten it on your greased palm and make a small cup. Add a little urad dal filling and bring the edges together. Seal at the top and keep aside. (I flattened these because I was going to steam them in my idli mould!)




Steam on a greased idli/idiyappam stand or just any vessel for 4-5 minutes. Aren't they just perfect little beauties?



I am sending these to Viji as my first entry for the RCI - Tamil Festival event. I am also sending this to Latha for her Gowri Ganesh event.

12 comments:

musical said...

Savory kozhukattai look delish! I prefer them over sweet ones as well :).

Raaga said...

Thanks Musical :-) I'll be making this very often.

FH said...

Great entry Raaga. That little Sannas look like my ajji's Sanna Kadubu!! I love it.I have to post one day, long process!:))

Viji said...

Thanks Raaga for the entry. Your persistent effort will benefit many. Viji

Roopa said...

wow raaga, fabulous entry love the sanna kadabu :)

Sreelu said...

Raaga, nice dish I never tried this looks delicious

Namratha said...

Kozhukattai looks delicious Raaga..we make the spicy and sweet ones too! :)

Chef Jeena said...

Raaga you make so many wonderful recipes at once I don't know where to start. :) Lovley pictures they all sound so yummy. :)

Laavanya said...

Wow Raaga..the kozhukattais look so perfect and smooth. So you've mastered the outer dough huh? :) The ammini kozhukattais look very good too. Am so glad that you enjoyed them... thank you! :)

J said...

They look tempting!!! I must try!

Sharmi said...

very lovely entries for the event!

bharath said...

thats almost the receipe of ammani kozhukattai my mom makes.

she adds 'dosai molaga podi' (the powder used as side dish with idlis and dosas) and/or some other podis (like coconut or coriander or just dhal powder) to the make dough before it is rolled into small pearls.