Google
 

January 5, 2008

Cheese Muffins




After having tried several kinds of sweet muffins, I wanted to try something savoury. And without knowing what proportions to use, I didn't want to end up wasting a lot of ingredients. Browsing through one of the many cookbooks that I have acquired over the past couple of weeks, I found a recipe for Cheese Muffins. I made them for sometime back and they were a hit. More anything else, this recipe opens out possibilities for me. I am already thinking about the different herbs and vegetables I can add to the batter to make it "ideal" food. Here is an adaptation of the cheese muffin recipe from the book Cakes and Bakes.





1/8 cup Oil
1/4 cup Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp Sugar
A pinch of Salt
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 egg
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
25g Cheddar Cheese, diced


Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F). Place paper cases in a nine inch muffin pan.


Sift the dry ingredients and keep aside. Whisk the eggs, milk, oil and thyme. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir gently. Place a spoonful of batter in each cup. Add a few pieces of cheese to each and top with another spoonful of batter.


Bake for 25 minutes.





Enjoy these muffins when they are fresh out of the oven. My guess is that they'd go very well with Salsa or Pizza Sauce. We didn't quite have the time to find out. They were gone before we knew it. The next time around, I'm going to make it to go with pasta or soup.

9 comments:

Srivalli said...

raaga...I have the same book I guess...but have never tried even a single one...heheh..yours look so tempting...I have never tried my hand on muffins...as most ask for egg..don't have energy to look for a no egg one!...I am enjoying looking at the pictures and think its not egged...:D

KayKat said...

These look good!

Hey Srivalli, you could try this recipe as an alternative:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,155184-232201,00.html

I replaced Bisquick with white whole wheat flour and it worked pretty well.

Sig said...

yum...love savory muffins... I am too lazy to bake though :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Its nice to eat savoury muffins for a change. Good at breakfast, too.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I would probably try it by adding some desi masala. Love anything savoury!

musical said...

I would take savory muffinfs anyday! They are looking so good, Raaga!

lakshmi said...

do i even need to tell you what the expression on this side looks like?

amna said...

yumm.. when do you get so much time to cook :) also, what do you call those muffin paper cup thingies that you bake in? any specific name? and where do we get them in hyd? any idea?

Nupur said...

Oh, my, they do sound like they would be perfectly delicious with soup!