Google
 

April 23, 2008

Oats Upma

Every month, Coffee usually sends us on a trip around the blogosphere. It reminds me of school and the projects we completed while there. She gives us a task and we come back and present it in class (read blog). Sometimes she goes on leave and we have substitute teachers. This month's substitute class teacher is Pavani and she sent us all to bring back a one pot meal.



I'm probably the biggest upma lover around and can make upma with just about everything. Nandita's Oats for Dinner is something I've been making even before I discovered the doctor or her blog, but it fitted in perfectly with the theme this month. Plus, the two pictures look so similar that you could easily interchange them and not really get to know. There are a few changes and my recipe is here:

Ingredients:

1 cup Roasted Oats

1 Onion, chopped

1 cup Mixed vegetables, chopped and cooked (I used carrots, beans, cauliflower and peas)

1 tbsp Oil

1/2 tsp Urad Dal

1/2 tsp Chana Dal

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

½ tsp Chilli Flakes

¼ tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Green Chilli paste

1 tsp Ginger Paste

Salt to taste

Coriander Leaves for garnish



Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the urad and chana dals. When the urad dal begins to brown a little, add the mustard and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, onions, ginger and chilli pastes and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli and turmeric powders and fry for a minute more. Add the mixed vegetables and the oats and fry the entire mixture for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cups of boiling hot water and salt to this. Mix well, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame.


I'm a one dish meal queen in any case and this blog is full of these time saving meals. I will bookmark this round up as I have Meeta's Mingle One-Dish Dinners and Mallugirl’s Express Cooking challenge. They're any working girl's real best friends.

9 comments:

Sig said...

I didn't know this month's MBP was about one pot meals.... Time to start patrolling, and now you've declared yourself the queen, so I won't have to travel far, eh? :D

Raaga said...

yeah... next month I'm hosting :-)

EC said...

You always manage to cook something for every event...amazed at ur energy levels..and ya, the upma looks great

Anonymous said...

tussi great ho!!!
just as i was telling u yesterday, you rock!

KayKat said...

Oh man, time to find a one-pot meal! Thanks for reminding me :)

bee said...

have you tried this with steelcut oats? steelcut oats are always 100 whole grain, plus, they don't turn all mushy. however, this version looks fantastic too. real comfort food.

TNL said...

This is delicious!

How are you girl??


trupti
The Spice Who Loved Me

Cynthia said...

I can't recall that MBP was on this month! Darn! I'll see what I can do.

You know I am yet to use oats in a savoury dish...

Divya and Chaya said...

You are ONE Innovative blogger- Oatmeal Upma was never heard of before we came across here! Healthy way to enjoy our ALL TIME favorite!