Google
 

July 27, 2008

Yam Fritters

Yam. It was the one vegetable my brother really hated. Or rather claimed he was allergic to. One day Amma made yam cutlets that he gorged on. Ever since, I always tell him to just say he doesn't like the vegetable. The allergy tstory doesn't make the cut. I, on the other hand, have been rather indifferent to this. I'd be lying if I said I loved it. And I definitely don't hate it. Amma makes a vadakkal with it and I really like it.


I'd not known yam fritters. My senior from University treated me to this when I visited her a few years ago. I relished it. I bought some yam and called her just to find out how it was made. She told me to marinate the yam pieces and then dry them in the sun. I didn't have that much time. So I baked them in my oven and then shalow fried them.

(One point to note is that shallow or deep fried yam tends to smell like fish!)

1/4 cup Yam slices
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Mix the turmeric powder, chilli powder, asafoetida and salt. Apply this to the yam slices. Bake in a moderately hot oven (325F) for 35-40 minutes.

Heat a skillet or a frying pan and shallow fry the yam pieces using a little oil. Cook evenly on both sides.

I had this with some rice and dal at her place the first time I had it. I made it to go with some rice and sambar for a Sunday lunch. Perfectly spicy, perfectly crunchy. Just what you need to make your meal complete!

10 comments:

Jyothi said...

Hi Raaga! Fritters with yam...really completely new recipe and looks very interesting...very soon am going to this and let you know...thanks for sharing dear...

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I'm truly allergic to this vegetable. Even applying oilon my hands before cutting this doesn't stop the itching.
So I tend to avoid it even though I cook it as my family, on both sides, love it.

Cynthia said...

I like yam a lot but I've never made fritter with them.

Anonymous said...

i was never allergic until i cooked yam myself - satish and i were scratching ourselves for a week - we move as far away as possible from this vegetable at the local store

Sunshinemom said...

You are right about the allergic part - I am sensitive to it sometimes or rather I do not really know how to distinguish and purchase. I love them when used along with other veggies. Fritters look good but you scared me with that remark - smells like fish!

sra said...

I loved these, our cook would make them. And you're right about the fish part :)

SMN said...

Raaga this is one of my fav which my mom prepares for me..

Sia said...

one veggie i grew up hating:) i guess now i am allergic to it;)

Anonymous said...

i love yam...this however is new to me...and why did u tell about the smell...now i gotta smell it the next time :(

Rajitha

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)