Google
 

August 14, 2008

Grilled Sweet Potato Slices



It is a well known fact. I love experimenting. But some experiments turn out to be disasters. And I have no choice but to learn from them. This is one such disaster. Great in taste, but not exactly pretty to look at. This is another adapted recipe from the book "Favorite Vegetarian Dishes" and I was longing to try it. I quite like sweet potatoes. As a side vegetable, in sambar, on the streets of Delhi in the cold, cold winters, the list is endless. But I think I also know now that the sweet potatoes we get in India (Sakkaravalli Kizhangu in Tamil, Shakarkand in Hindi) are very different from the pictures the book showed me. Wiki tells me that "Its flesh ranges from white through yellow, orange, and purple." My sweet potatoes were mostly white. They just had some dark spots. And unless I get nice sweet potatoes, I doubt I'll make this. But as far as taste goes, this one was very good.


2 Sweet Potatoes, parboiled

1 tsp Olive Oil

1 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce

Salt to taste


Peel and slice the sweet potatoes.


Mix the oil, chilli sauce and salt together. Brush this mixture over the sweet potato slices. Grill for 12-15 minutes, turning the slices over halfway.


This recipe wouldn't have made it to this blog (especially after this mini-hiatus) had it not been for Sig and the fact that she is guest hosting the Monthly Mingle. The things one does for friends!

5 comments:

Sig said...

hey its not all that bad looking....and I love you for posting this :) Hugs darling...

Sum Raj said...

wooo out of sweet potato this is quick and simple dish...as a snack v have anytime..

Anonymous said...

tell me about it..i spent an hour yesterday shopping for a grill pan for her event...all the stores had cast-iron grill pan..bah! and i am a non-stick girl...

Rajitha

Unknown said...

Love love sweet potatoes..Nice recipe..

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I have a grill in my oven that I hardly ever use. Sig got me to use it and maybe after the MM roudup I might just grill some more food.