Google
 

November 1, 2008

Instant Guilt Free Tayir Vadai


I've mentioned in several posts that a festival meal at my place was incomplete without the "vadai payasam" routine. Since I got married, plenty of festivals came and went. For the first two years, I hardly made any "festival food" for any festival. I did cook traditional meals for my first Gowri Tritiya and Ganesh Chaturthi, including my favourite Madgane. But that sort of summed it up. Vijayadashami this year marked the third year of festivals for us. I decided to make a very traditional meal as we had some guests for lunch. I made puliyodarai, avial, rice, paruppu usli, sundal and semia payasam. I also decided to make some tayir vadai.


I'd read enough and more about making vadais in the appey kayli. I had also seen a recipe for vadais made with urad flour. While I didn't follow the recipe entirely, I did like the idea very much. The "accident" that I talked about in an earlier post happened when I was trying to deep fry these. So, I resorted to making these instant vadais in the appey kayli. I'll admit they didn't come close to Amma's melt in your mouth tayir vadais, but in a pinch, they'll more than just do.


For the Vadais:


1 1/3 cup Urad Dal Powder

1 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Ginger Paste

1 1/4 cups Water

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

Salt to taste

Oil for frying


For the Curd Mixture:

2 cups Curd, beaten

1 tsp Chilli Paste

1/2 tsp Ginger Paste

2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped

Salt to taste


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

7-8 Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida



Mix the ingredients for the vadais. Add a little oil in each of the appey kayli moulds and heat the pan.


In a separate vessel, mix all the ingredients for the curd mixture. In a frying ladle, heat the oil, add the mustard seeds, and when they splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves
. Add this to the curd mixture.

Pour spoonfuls of the vadai batter into each appey mould and fry on both sides for a couple of minutes each. Add these vadais to the curd mixture. Garnish with a little Kashmiri Chilli Powder if you like.

Tasty, healthy and ready in just a jiffy. Miracles do happen. On streets other than just the 34th. And what better way to start running a marathon than with some healthy food? I'm happy to be a part of the Recipe Marathon #2. My fellow runners are:


1) DK

2) Siri

3)
Srivalli

4)
Ranji

5)
PJ

6)
Curry Leaf

7)
Medha

8)
Priya

9)
Bhawna

10)
Raaji

11)
Ruchii

12)
Anu

13)
Kamala

14)
Roopa

15)
Divya Kudua

16)
Rekha

17)
Divya M

18)
Lakshmi

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite way to eat vadais..Look rich n creamy..

Raaga said...

@Divya: Yeah...my favourite way too :-)

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..Thayir vadais look excellent..guilt free..??even more excellent;-)

Bhawana said...

hey Raaga, this is good one I never made this at home so far. Loved the pic too

Siri said...

Glad to see u up and running again Raaga.. I hope u are feeling better now..:) Thayir Vadai look yummy..:D

Hugs,
Siri

Unknown said...

intresting will try it soon

Anonymous said...

I luv thayir vadai!Guilt free makes it more indulging!!

Medhaa said...

I can have this anytime.

Welcome to the marathon, it will be great running with you. Good Luck

Vani said...

What a lovely idea to use the appey pan for vadas. Guilt-free indeed! :)