Google
 

January 25, 2009

Ripe Plantain Fritters




Tea-time. I've really forgotten about that concept. At my parents' place, we had coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I had a glass of milk both times. There was always a stock of biscuits at home, and tea time didn't mean snacks of any sort. At almost all my relatives' places, tea-time was a ritual. So, while I can't say the concept is alien to me, I definitely don't relate it to it all the time.


We happened to be home one afternoon and I decided to make tea. I also found a couple of plantains in the fridge that didn't seem that raw to me anymore. I made these fritters that are usually made with Rajali Bananas (Nendrampazham). It didn't taste the same, but I we relished them nonetheless. And I was glad I didn't have to throw the plantains out.


2 Ripe Plantains, peeled

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tbsp Rice Flour

Salt to taste

Oil for frying


Cut the plantains in half and slice lengthwise. Add the salt and chilli powder and keep aside for 4-5 minutes.


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the rice flour to the plantains and mix well. Drop the plantain slices into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.


Enjoy these with a hot cup of tea. Just make sure the tea is ready when these fritters are. If you make these first and then make the tea, you may not have any left for you by the time you're done making the tea.

5 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

i love the pink cup here :D

Sig said...

We used to have tea-time on weekends! I miss those! There's nothing like freshly made hot snacks with tea... I am loving this sweet+spicy combo here!

Uj said...

sigh! miss kele phodi so much.. Love the nendrabale variety phodi

sra said...

I knew families which made tiffin every evening, at tea-time. We just had snacks out of tins (home-made earlier), biscuits, fruit from the fridge and even then weren't expected to eat any of it when we came back from school. We were expected to drink milk, though.

sra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.