Google
 

January 23, 2009

Tomato-Coriander Chutney



I can't remember the last time I made coconut chutney at home. I have started making thuvayals to go with idlis and dosas. I figured that if I sneak vegetables into the most unusual of dishes, I wouldn't have that much of a problem if one of my meals turned out to be a vegetable less one.



I made this chutney to go with these mixed dal and dalia cutlets. I made it again to go with some onion uttapams. It is full of flavour and I love the fact that we can eat as much chutney as we eat whatever we're eating it with. And not feel guilty!


3 Tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup Coriander Leaves, chopped

1 tsp Oil

1 Green Chilli, chopped

1 tsp Ginger Paste

2 Pods Garlic, chopped

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chilli, ginger paste and garlic. Fry for a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Add the coriander leaves and cook until the leaves wilt. Grind the entire mixture to a fine paste.


The tomato chutney is ready. As a variation, you could also add some mint leaves. In a pinch, I'm sure I could have this chutney with some hot rice as well.





11 comments:

pink dogwood said...

after reading this and the cutlets recipe, I wish we were coworkers :(

FH said...

Chutney with dals is always nutritious, specially for pure vegetarians. We eat so much carbs like rice and wheat, it's good to have dal in some way or the other everyday.
But sometimes ,we have got to eat HOT chutney.Looks so chunky and yummy! :))

sra said...

Whenever we have too many tomatoes, this is it! Hope things are sorted out between you and Sulekha now - I HAVE read the updates. How cheap is it to translate the ingredients and change the measurements, esp after you pointed out? Dunno why some people think we're fools.

bee said...

put this is a sandwich and i can eat it thrice a day. i love chutneys way more than veggies cooked by themselves.

suvi said...

much better to eat veggies this way raaga. And you said it, even I think this will be great with hot rice.

Suganya said...

I add some urad dal too. My MIL adds chana dal just for this chutney. It does taste good.

CurryLeaf said...

My favourite.Even better as a spread.Love it

Swapna said...

Hi Arundati,
You have been tagged by me.. if you'd like to do it, pls visit my blog for details...

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I do this alot too. Sneak in vegetables into chutneys, though I do make the coconut chutneys too. Sometimes I add a bit of coconut to veggie chutneys just for the taste.
And like Bee says, they make a fantastic sandwich. I just had a filling one for lunch today as there was no one else to cook lunch for. :)

Reeta Skeeter said...

yumeee :)
i love tomato chutney!

Harini said...

I just loved the chutney. Made it today morning and it was just wonderful. Had it as a spread for my sandwich. It was yummy yummy !!! Thanks a ton for this post.. Do pls post some more veggie chutneys... Would love to try them...

cheers