Google
 

March 1, 2009

Beetroot Cake






Just like I'd wanted to try making a carrot cake for ages, ever since I discovered blogosphere, I have wanted to try a beetroot cake. I kept reading the different recipes that people put up and I kept buying beetroots. S didn't seem to like the idea of a beetroot cake and so each time I bought beetroots, I ended up making soup. One time, I made a beetroot kurma of sorts. I put it in sambar. In short, everything but the cake.


Since I also feel that whatever the carrot can do the beet can beat! As Amma and Appa were getting ready to leave yesterday, I decided I had to make something for them to take back. This was my chance to experiment. And what a lovely experiment this turned out to be. I will make this again for sure.


1 cup Beetroot, grated

1/4 cup Carrot, grated
1/4 cup Cashews, powdered
2 tbsp Almonds, powdered
¾ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Oil
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
A pinch of Nutmeg Powder
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
¼ cup Raisins


Preheat the oven to 400F (200 C).


Grease and flour/line two 8-inch cake tins.


In a bowl, beat the eggs until light. Add the sugar and oil and beat well. Add the beetroot, carrots, almond and cashew powders and raisins.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and the cinnamon and nutmeg powders. Fold in the beetroot-egg mixture and mix gently until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife/skewer, inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
Transfer the cakes to wire racks and cool.


This is a great tea-time cake. It would also pair very well with a glass of milk for an after dinner snack.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyyy.....never even thought of a beetroot cake,amazing post Raaga;
rest assured I,a true beet fan ,am gonna make dis for sure!!
(The way u play around with food to create scrumptious dishes still leaves me dumbstruck.Every single time!)

A_and_N said...

I've wanted to bake a beet cake for quite sometime. Should try your recipe.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Sounds like a great new way to use beets!!! Will have to try this one!

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Beetroot cake very innovative. must have tasted great.

Deepa Hari said...

Beetroot cake sounds very different and great Raaga...its new to me...like the color too.

Priya Suresh said...

Beetroot cake looks simply superb, lovely idea of adding beets in cake..

Sunshinemom said...

True statement that beet can beat a carrot esp. in sweets. I love a beet halwa more than carrot:). I thought of this too but was too apprehensive to try. Thanks for trying it and also the verdict!! Will try a similar one but veganized:)

Sanghi said...

Hey Raaga! very diff to make a cake with beetroot! Good try, turned out perfect!! :)

Preety said...

wow beetroot cake sounds interesting..looks soo good

Swapna said...

Hi,I have an award for you..hope u like it..

Divya Kudua said...

Beetroot cake looks delicious raaga..I've seen a recipe for Beet-chocolate cake in Asha's blog,wanted to make it badly and now this..beets are fighting for the best recipe..soup,halwa or cake??;-)lol!!

Laavanya said...

That's a great idea.. my husband loves carrot cake but doesn't take kindly to beets - maybe this cake will do the trick.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I remember your saying something about bbetroot cake , sometime back.
It looks very good and quite soft. Just one problem here, we don't like beets, though I can't think of a better way to disguise the vegetable than this,:)

Loda said...

thanks for the recipe. i also believe that anything carrot does, beetroot can do better and with style. is the beetroot raw or cooked?

cheers

Loda

Unknown said...

Arundhati,

I am regular blogger of your singing chef blog. I must tell your cake is great hit with my three year old daughter, who wants only that for breakfast, ever since i tried it for the first time.

Raaga said...

Thanks all of you.

Loda: The beets are grated raw.

Thahaseen: I am so glad my experiment is loved by your 3 year old :)

Unknown said...

Hi Raaga, your cake was great. I am not a fan of beetroot, but my husband is.
I'm searching a cake recipe for a local competition in my area in Indiana, USA, I found yours and it sounded great and easy... I jumped up and made the cake instantly and that was a super hit.

Now, I am making this cake for the competition with your permission.

I also added a gulp of coke to the recipe, which made my cake fluffy a little bit.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Raaga, this is Sweta again, the competion was today, I did not win it, but your recipe is in all my family and friends kitchen's.... all are trying it and saying WOW.....

Thanks for such a awesome recipe.

Raaga said...

I'm happy you liked the cake Sweta. Sorry about the contest though :)