Google
 

June 28, 2009

Carrot Upkari




This is one dish I somehow didn't eat when I was growing up. Amma just didn't make it. So, I didn't develop a taste for this. We had carrots in just about every other form. Just never in the form of a traditional steamed side dish with rice.


I did taste something like this made by a friend. But she was just learning to cook at the time and I never was sure if the dish tasted that way because she was a novice or if carrots made this way would always taste that funny. I made it one Sunday as a side for rice and sambar. It isn't the best way to eat carrots, I have to admit. (And, OK, I wasn't comparing it to the Carrot Cake!) But this does make a nice simple side.


1/4 kg Carrot, peeled and diced
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Red Chillies
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tbsp Coconut, scraped (optional)
7-8 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste


Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add the urad and chana dals, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the red chillies. Fry for a minute. Add the chopped carrots and the salt along with a little water. Cover and cook for one whistle.



When done, open and cook without the lid to let the excess water evaporate. Add the coconut, if using, and mix well.

19 comments:

Aarti said...

this is what we call carrot kari :).. minus the red chillies!!

Parita said...

Simple and sweet dish!

Sanghi said...

Delicious simple curry raaga. check my site for my event..!

Padma said...

simple and declicious ....

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love carrot Palya .. love this as a side dish with Rasam

CurryLeaf said...

I too do not like this and hence don't make this.I do not know -I have no aversion to carrots,but upkari can be given a miss.The click looks tempting and obviously simple and better side

Jyoti said...

This looks simple and healthy!

Nupur said...

Like you, I love carrots in all forms but don't seem to ever make this kind of subzi with it.
Is it still 44 degrees in Delhi?? How on earth do you cope with those kind of temps?

Pooja said...

Simple and delicious! My favourite too :)

Bindiya said...

wow Raaga , this is so healthy and delicious too!

Miri said...

Have you tried cutting the carrot a bit smaller and steam cooking it in a kadai with just a sprinkling of water when needed? Cooks in 10 minutes flat and if you add the coconut gratings at the end tastes really, really nice..

I think that might change your mind about this dish- the pressure cooker not only takes away the colour but much of the taste I feel....

Miri

Shama Nagarajan said...

simple yummy recipe..

Linda said...

Hi Raaga, long time no see, hope you're doing well! Carrots look so pretty this way -- I sometimes add them to plain cabbage poriyal for a little color and crunch. Never thought to cook them alone :)

Buns in the previous post look scrumptious, too!

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely color.. looks gr8.. thanks for sharing :)

Nithya said...

Simple and delicious dish. love carrots for every reason. will try this one soon.

guess this is my first time here and you have a lovely blog. Keep the work going. will be here often from now for your lovely recipes.

do take a look at my blogs when you find time.

Chitra said...

I too made this poriyal yesterday..but i used sambhar powder instead of chilly..nice post:)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

My mum used to make this with some coconut added as well, and I make it often.
Goes very well with morkootan/ pulissery.

~~louise~~ said...

I find this recipe quite intriguing Raaga, thank you so much for sharing.

shebs said...

Very interesting recipe...can you have a look at my blog and tell me what you think..