Google
 

August 18, 2009

Methi Mangodi


I bought some mangodis for the first time two years ago. The store manager of the supermarket where I picked it up was really nice and he even told me how to cook the stuff. I have not really made the dish he told me about, but I liked the fact that he took the trouble to explain stuff to me. One day, I shall blog about his recipe.


When it comes to trying out new Gujarati or Rajasthani food, I always stick to my favourite. I picked this recipe from Tarla Dalal's Rajasthani Cookbook. I modified it to suit my taste and we had it for lunch with chapatis. Here I am, sharing this wonderful recipe with all of you.


According to Tarla Dalal (
www.tarladalal.com): Mangodis are sun-dried grape sized dumplings made from soaked and ground moong dal or sometimes from urad dal. Due to scarcity of vegetables, the ingenious Rajasthanis use different forms of pulses to whip up healthy and tasty meals. Mangodis or moong dal badis are often used to rustle up several tasty and mouth-watering recipes.



1 bunch Fenugreek Leaves, chopped
1/2 cup Mangodi, crushed
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste

1 tsp Chilli Paste
1 tsp Coriander Powder

1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Curd, beaten
1 tsp Sugar
4 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste



Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the ginger-green chilli paste and stir for a minute. Add the mangodi and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the fenugreek leaves and fry for 5 - 7 minutes. Add the coriander powder, milk, curds, sugar, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.


Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or until the mangodis are soft and cooked. Serve immediately with rotis.

12 comments:

Raks said...

Mangodi is absolutely new to me,sounds good...nice recipe!

Divya Kudua said...

Looks great..but I have no clue what Mangodi is..:)

Parita said...

Curry looks good!

Uma said...

Never heard of Mangodi before!! Sounds interesting. The curry looks so yummy and tempting :)

A_and_N said...

I personally am not a mangodi fan, though A could live on it, I think!

BTW, tried your chocolate cake ( the MW one?) and LOVED it to say the least.

Srivalli said...

Nice one raaga ..have always been meaning to get mangodi after hearing abt it...

sra said...

Milk and curds? I don't have mangodis but will use the ordinary stuff from home which I get now and then.

Raaga said...

All you Chennai girls... would you like me to send you some?

Send me an address and then have a blogger's meet in Chennai and distribute it. Honest... I could send you all a packet each.

A&N: Glad you liked the chocolate cake... it is so quick, isn't it.

My Experiments with Food said...

Hey! Mangodi is a regular fare at my Monm's place. She makes it at home, rather than buying the ready-made packets.
Adding Methi to it would have surely enhanced the flavours. Will try it out surely.

Nope..not a pro at layered desserts, but do like to experiment :) Am currently in Pune, originally from N. India.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Curry looks great and different dish and name

Trendsetters said...

whatz a mangodi? is it raw mango?

kitchen queen said...

mangodi is new to me .any ways the dish looks amazing I am sure it will be very tasty you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.