Google
 

August 16, 2009

Mixed Vegetable Ricotta Quiche




A few weeks ago, S and I were running around to make sure we filed our IT returns in time. We left home after a good breakfast and hoped to return by lunch time. That wasn't to happen. When we were done with all our little errands, including our returns, we were famished. We stopped by for a quick bite at the newly opened coffee shop: Mocha. I've been to Mocha in other cities, but I loved the look and feel of this one, just one street away.


I ordered a garden vegetable pie and loved every bite of it. It came doused in some mushroom bechamel sauce. Absolutely divine! I realised that I hadn't baked savoury pies, tarts or quiches in ages. In fact, the last time I baked a vegetable pie was at least 7-8 years ago. Inspired by that garden vegetable pie and this quiche, I decided to make this quiche for lunch today.



1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
1/3 cup Margarine
2-3 tbsp Ice Cold Water
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Salt
Oil for greasing the tart tin

Grease the tart tin.

Place the flours, salt, chilli flakes, herbs, and margarine in a bowl and mix together till the mixture resembles small peas. Gradually add the water and knead gently till it forms a dough. (Do not knead as you would for chapati/poori dough.) Chill the dough for about 20 minutes.

Roll out the dough and place it in the tart tin. Bake at 450 F for 10 minutes. (You may use baking beans to help retain the shape of the tarts. I used some dried lentils and that I use only for this purpose.)


For the filling:


1 Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Mixed Vegetables, chopped and cooked (Carrots, Beans, Potatoes)
1/4 cup Mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Flour
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Basil
2 tsp Chilli flakes
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 slice Low Fat Cheese (optional)
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese

1 Egg
1/4 cup Milk



Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for a minute. Add the parsley, basil and chilli flakes and fry for another minute. Add the flour and fry without browning the flour. Add the mushrooms and fry for about 30 seconds. (Do not fry the mushrooms for too long as the water in them gets released.) Add the vegetables along with the milk and bring the mixture to a boil while stirring continuously. If adding cheese, add it at this point and stir the sauce well. As the sauce thickens, add the salt and pepper. Cool and blend in the ricotta cheese.

In a bowl, beat the egg and add the milk.



To proceed, fill the semi baked quiche shell with the filling. Pour the egg-milk mixture and return to the oven. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes or until the top is firm and browned. Carefully remove from the tart tin and serve.

I suppose I could have served this with some bechamel sauce, or with a salad, or something like that. But this was so tempting when it came out of the oven that we cut it up and ate it right away!

13 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

It really does look divine..:)

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi! This looks absolutely yummilicious. I love the place Mocha and I land up overeating there every time we visit.

roma said...

Ages since I baked a tart too. I have marked your recipe, the quiche looks mouth watering.

Subhie Arun said...

tats realli looks gud...thanx for sharin!

Ranjani said...

Looks GORGEOUS!

Parita said...

Hmm i love veggie quiches, yumm

Sig said...

I've never made a quiche. I've got to, soon!

Mythreyi Dilip said...

That was a delicious Tart, looks great!

Miri said...

Looks absolutely wonderful! what a nice crust too!

I have a friend who stays in Gurgaon and we usually catch up one Friday a month for lunch and a nice gab. Being foodies,we try to pick a place we haven't been to before - we have so far done - The Drift (good VFM), Oak Tree (good but not consistent), Earth (great), the Food Court at MGF Mall(so so), Rodeo (terrible)...the next place on our list is Mocha :) I didnt care for the one in Chennai, maybe I would like this one.

Cheese Products said...

That's looks yummy... Cheesy!!

Raaga said...

Thanks everyone... I think this was the first time I made a quiche... I am very happy with the results. Let me know if any of you tries this :)

Pari: let's meet at Mocha :)

Miri: Love Earth... like Mxocha... thought Oak Tree was a waste of money...love the Radisson... have not eaten at Drift or Rodeo...don't remember eating at the MGF food court... :))

Bergamot said...

Looks really great... it is just perfectly baked..

My Experiments with Food said...

I am hungry now! :)
Its been ages since I visited Mocha. Will do so soon.