Google
 

December 28, 2009

Carrot Kheer


Carrots. I can't seem to get enough of them ever. Especially the lovely red carrots that make an appearance at this time of the year. I tend to put them in everything from salads to pulaos to casseroles to cakes and desserts. I had eaten carrot kheer only once. A classmate of mine invited me to her place for lunch almost a decade ago, and she served this for dessert. Ever since, I've wanted to make it. But considering I'm not the biggest fan of kheer, this always took a backseat. Last weekend, I wanted to make something for dessert after lunch and I made this. We enjoyed this for a couple of days and I'm actually itching to make it again.


2 cups Carrot, grated

1/2 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Milkmaid/Mithai Mate)

2-3 cups Milk

a pinch Saffron, dissolved in some milk

1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder

1 tbsp Kesari Milk Masala


Microwave the grated carrots (with a little water) on high for 2-3 minutes.


Bring the milk to a boil in a large vessel and add the condensed milk to it. Keep stirring until the mixture is even (else you'll have burnt condensed milk). Add the grated carrots and the saffron paste and simmer the mixture for about 10-15 minutes. It will begin to thicken nicely. Add the milk masala powder and take off the flame after a couple of minutes.


While you could enjoy it warm, I found that it tastes best the next day after it has sat for a night in the fridge. The colour seems to intensify and the flavours are just so... well, why should I tell you. You should try for yourself.


Off this goes to the JFI: Saffron event being hosted by my erstwhile fellow marathoner, DK.

9 comments:

priya said...

carrot kheer looks delicious and yummy!

Soma Pradhan said...

Nice delicious kheer..

Sanghi said...

Kheer looks deliicous!

Miri said...

I love carrot kheer - again never made it myself but have tasted it at a friend's place. Time to make them now!

Hari Chandana P said...

nice & healthy kheer... lovely click!!

Pavani said...

Carrots & condensed milk is a combination made in culinary heaven. Sounds delicious.. I made carrot & sooji kheer--will post it soon.

Siri said...

Raaga - love the simplicity of the recipe..have to try sometime soon.

Wishing you a very happy new year.

Hugs,
Siri

Chef Mireille said...

This looks fabulous to try. I love regular kheer so I am sure I would LOVE this variation, but I am not sure I am going to be able to find Kesari Milk Masala (I live in NY). I will try Patel Brothers - my local Indian market but if they dont have it - do you happen to know what it is made of and maybe I can make it up myself???

Raaga said...

@GTT: It is a mixture of pounded nuts (almonds, cashews and pistachios) and some saffron (kesar). I think it has nutmeg as well, and maybe a wee bit of cardamom. Let me check the box label and let you know :)